Rev. Jerry Christian, Jr. is a native of Booneville, MS. He is the son of Dr. Jerry Christian and Earlene Hannah. He is married to Yolanda Christian and they have five children, Kobe, Imiah, Jayla, Patrick and Chase.
Pastor Christian received his Bachelor of Science in Social Work from Rust College, in Holly Springs, Ms. He also received a Master of Divinity from ITC (Phillips School of Theology) in Atlanta, GA. He is currently the Senior Pastor of Russell Memorial C.M.E. Church in Durham, North Carolina.
Pastor Christian’s previous pastoral ministries includes: Warren Chapel CME Church, where under his leadership a new facility was constructed, along with doubling the membership. He pastored Yarborough Chapel for six years. His previous appointment was Poplar-Saltillo C.M.E. Church in which the church, congregation, and community experienced God’s increase through the building of a brand-new million-dollar facility under his leadership and a blessing of growth occurred in the ministries and membership. Pastor Christian is a certified counselor of gang/drug/and alcohol intervention. Mr. Christian loves sports, fishing and enjoying life. He loves serving God and God’s people.
Connecting people to God, through love to reach out beyond the walls into the community and abroad through Ministry, Outreach, Vision, Evangelism and Service!!!
Russell Memorial C.M.E Church was founded in 1902 in the home of Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Stroud on Chapel Hill Street (now Kent Street) under the leadership of Rev. Joseph S. Miller. The congregation soon outgrew this setting, and the first structure was purchased, which was called King Chapel. In the early 1930's the church leaders worked toward expanding. A brick structure was built on Matthew Street, and the name was changed to St. Matthew C.M.E. Church.
On December 11, 1949 under the pastorate of Rev. W. A. McEwan, the church building was burned during the morning worship service. On December 13, 1953, a newly erected edifice was opened for worship at 703 South Alston Avenue. The name of the church was changed to Russell Memorial C.M.E. Church.
Russell Memorial is a member of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. The C.M.E. Church was founded December 16, 1870 by a group of 41 former slaves in Jackson, Tennessee. Our denomination operates four colleges - Miles College, Birmingham, AL; Paine College, Augusta, GA; Lane College, Jackson, TN; and Texas College, Tyler, TX; and, one seminary, Phillips School of Theology, Atlanta, GA. The C.M.E Church, also has eight (8) General Departments; and eleven (11) Episcopal Districts with Conferences in U.S.A., Africa, Haiti, and Jamaica.
Our church is in the Durham District of the Carolina Conference of the Seventh Episcopal District. Rev. Dr. Clifton E. Harris, Jr., is the Presiding Elder of the Durham District. The Right Rev. Bishop James B. Walker, is the Presiding Prelate of the Seventh Episcopal Church.